Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ran Across A Reason to Smile

By now, I'm sure you're growing tired of hearing about my dad and how nearly every emotion I feel is somehow related to him.  However, I want to thank you for listening and allowing me to deal with this in the best way I know how. 

Today, I ran across a song, "My Little Girl," and found a big reason to smile.  This is the song to which we shared a dance at Nathan & my wedding.  Sure, a tear or two snuck into the corner of my eyes, but better than that...a smile that filled my heart.  How special and wonderful it is that we were able to share this dance together.  I will always be his "little girl" and he'll always be my daddy....a pact we made a long time ago. 

As I was thinking back on our wedding day - nearly 4 years ago...It made me realize something else.  How fortunate I am to have had the parents I do.  I had a Daddy, a mom/momma/mommy (whatever I needed her to be) and a "Del" (aka my step dad)  Amazingly enough each of these people brought a unique characteristic to who I am today and each tended to separate needs all throughout my life. 
A daddy who.... loved me every minute of every day, knew me better than anyone, wasn't afraid to let me make my own mistakes, always accepted me for the person I was at that moment, encouraged me to enjoy life and all that it has to offer, made me laugh at the stupidest things, made me feel like the best daughter a man could ask for...I will cherish forever! 

 A Del who... took on the responsibility of taking care of me when he was pretty young, taught me everything I know about finances and computers :D, expected me to succeed and surpass even my very own expectations, devoted many years into molding me into the best version of me he possibly could.

And a mom/momma/mommy who...always did everything she thought was best for us, has the wildest sense of humor, tries desperately to catch me before I fall (which I now understand-being a parent myself), would do anything for me, isn't afraid to tell me the truth, I can tell anything to, loves me the way only a mother can...I love dearly! 

Three parents...odd, not ideal, but it worked for us! 

3 comments:

  1. Perfect words...for a wonderful tribute to those who impacted your life so much. And all THREE succeeded in molding you into a lovely young woman. Now the LORD has blessed you with a loving husband to walk with you the rest of the way.

    Wonderfully worded.
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post! You're dad who be SO proud of you!! You just go ahead and talk all you want about your dear daddy....I'll be hear listening and we'll grieve with you....you're a strong girl and God is going to do great things through you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sweetie, I'm glad you were finally able to see, appreciate and recognize, we have always loved you and did the best we knew how, and still do today. I knew i simply had to wait until you gave me grandchildren to feel, see and know it.
    Love you my baby girl!
    your one and only crazy loving mother!

    ReplyDelete