Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ministries Among Us

Ministries Among Us

For the past few months I have been asking myself, “What are you doing for the Lord?”  This question has the potential to elicit several different responses from me.  Depending on the day it can be eye opening, shameful, rewarding, or inspirational. 



Our service in the Lord before our boys….Attended church three times a week, involved in choir, nursery work, Sunday school teaching, AWANA, women’s ministries, a short attempt at being part of the music ministry as well as enjoyable fellowship with many other members of our church.  We have been members at our church for about five years.  Please do not misunderstand my message here…I don’t think that service for the Lord is like some kind of checklist that you can have and say I did this for the Lord today, so that should be good for now.  In fact, sometimes I truly believe that one can be involved in too many ministries.  I’ve often found that if I have too much going on, I don’t really do a good job at anything because I’m spread so thin. 



Our spiritual life and service after the birth of our boys…Changed. 




It would be ridiculous to say that having two newborn babies (as first time parents) wouldn’t change your life around a little bit.  Our church attendance and service certainly did change after the birth of our children.  Having two newborns and being a first time mother I felt it was crucial that they were on a very regimented bedtime schedule for the sanity and peace of our entire family.  (They didn’t sleep through the night until they were eleven months old).  As a result, we stopped going to Sunday night and Wednesday night services.  Some may view this as using our children as an excuse not to be in church.  However, I would’ve gladly invited those people into the eleven sleepless months and a few screaming car rides home (on attempts to go to evening church) with two very tired little guys. 



We have done what we thought was best for our family. 



Now, as our children are rounding the corner to two years old (I can hardly believe that!)  I ask myself again, “What are we doing for the Lord?”  I see people doing this and doing that and am then reminded that everybody’s circumstances are different and we aren’t all able to do the same things.  I feel strongly that my first ministry for the Lord is this family that he has so generously blessed us with.  As the wife and mother of this household I feel it is my responsibility to keep a home that is filled with peace, love, respect, order, and encouragement…To be a wife that my husband adores and to be a mother that my children look up to.  My first ministry is here.  I have to remember that.  Each time I pray with my children, read the Bible with them, sing Bible songs and hymns to them and teach them…I know that I am doing the ‘work’ that the Lord has intended for me.



As our children grow older, I find it more and more important that we are involved in other ministries so that our children also have opportunities to see the blessings of doing the Lord’s work.  It’s is a trickly balancing act and I’m no juggler.  I pray that the Lord would bless us in this ministry of our home and guide us to other areas that we may serve Him together. 

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't say your Spiritual life changed..no wait ..yes, I would.

    You both have GROWN in the LORD in having these precious children. You have sought HIM more than ever in making choices that would be pleasing to he LORD...You have searched in HIS WORD for the comfort and guidance needed to be good parents and you have done a wonderful work with them and the LORD's work in you both.

    Our MINISTRY to OUR own children is one of the greatest RESPONSIBILITIES we have in life as Parents..and Christians. We hold their SOULS in our hand for a time.

    THE LORD knows your heart..and that is what matters most. He knows the MOTIVES of the heart and desires...we can never know motives. We so oft fail in those areas for sure! How oft have we misunderstood people.

    Our HOME is the future...our CHILDREN are the future...and our walk with the LORD is the KEY to it all.

    Be faithful...and always seek HIS WILL and examine your own hearts as you pray.

    I PRAISE THE LORD..for the wonderful little family I have watched BLOOM and be a wonderful WITNESS of HIS work in your lives.

    Keep up the good work of the LORD..bringing them up in the nurture and admonition of the LORD.

    LOve you

    ReplyDelete