Friday, June 30, 2017

Little Moments Create A Lifetime of Memories

Father's Day.  A day that has become difficult for me with each passing year without my own father with which to celebrate.  It's a day of mixed emotion.  A day that I'm thankful that my children were blessed with an involved and loving Daddy, but also a day that I miss mine more that I'd like to.

This year was uniquely special  as we spent Father's Day with extra family.

I decided that since it was Father's Day, we could go around and share some of our favorite memories of our Fathers.  The answers surprised me.

Unfortunately I don't remember the details.  BUT.... I remember sitting there listening to the answers of all of the people gathered around our table.  From the young child to the Grandmas & Grandpas, the theme was consistent.  TIME . SIMPLICITY.

Several responses included a fishing trip.  Who knew fishing was so magical? But even my own favorite memories consisted of fishing trips with my dad.

I wrote a post on this several years back right after my dad died.  It's never these huge moments, the scrapbook worthy adventures, the several thousand dollars worth of plane tickets or miles traveled across a sea... It's the simple, daily ordinary things that become extraordinarily priceless over the years.

So, slow down mama.  Sit down.  Cuddle.  Read the Book.  Dance.  Sing the song.  Color.  Bake the cookies.  Take the walk.  Ride the Bike.  Be a Kid.  Laugh.  Smile.... For those moments that seem mundane today, will be the memories etched into your child's memory for a lifetime to come....


No comments:

Post a Comment