Thursday, May 26, 2011

One Year Ago Today...Part 1

I'm going to do my very best to choke back the tears that may otherwise pour so freely as I write this challenging, but necessary post. 

One year ago today, May 26, 2010 the biggest ball of emotions rolled through me as my life would change in more ways than I ever realized.  One year ago today, I sat in the doctor's office discussing and planning the scheduled c-section of my fantastic baby boys.  I was scared yet excited, nervous yet thrilled, anxious yet in complete disbelief that the Lord had allowed my life to unfold the way that it had. 

After leaving the doctor's office we went to pick up my dad from the airport.  He saw me, said "Wow Mol! You are enormous (in the most loving way possible)" and gave me a hug! This was both the first and last time that I would ever pick my dad up from an airport. 

We spent that afternoon and evening celebrating and preparing for the birth of our baby boys, of the only grandsons my parents would ever know.  We went to lunch at Olive Garden.  I remember my daddy laughing with me as I struggled to get into the booth :D  (I still swear I had no idea just how big I was..and It's a good thing!) Afterwards we went to Target and purchased some last minute items that I would need for the hospital stay.  He helped me pick out a yellow nightgown and grey robe.  We debated what size to get as I wanted to also use the robe for AFTER the babies were born too.  I thought a medium would suffice, but he affectionatley asked me if I had looked in the mirror lately and what would I do with the rest of my body after the medium covered up only a portion of it!?  (If you knew my dad, you would know that I could not take offense to this because my dad would pretty much never say anything to hurt my feelings.) 

Later that evening we went to a resturant called Havana's @ Carolina Beach.  I had been very strict about my diet my entire pregnancy in order to assure health and safety for myself and Babies.  I followed pretty much every rule in the book and some that were just hearsay too.  Point is, I had not had a filet (one of my all time favorite things to eat) since before I was pregnant because you are not supposed to have medium meat and afterall, what is the point in a burnt filet?  What a waste of money.  Well, I had a filet that night!  It was delicous!  When I think of this I think of the unmatched friendliness and outgoing personality that my dad had.  He could walk into a room of 100 people and know at least half of them before he left.  He was one of the most likeable people I've ever met.  He could make you smile, laugh, feel good about yourself and ponder some of life's greatest mysteries. 

One year ago today, I shared the coming excitement of Asher & Nolan with my dad!  He, though hundreds of miles away, was on the of the most supportive people I could've asked for.  (Granted, in all honesty, it wasn't always this way)  Even while my husband and I were trying to conceive my dad was so encouraging and would do anything to take the pain away for me as I was coming to the realization that we may never have children of our own. Then, we he found out that we were expecting (he was the first to know) he was so thrilled and from that moment on was calling me before and after every doctor's appointment, every ultrasound and everywhere in between to check on all of us.  I was so lucky.  He was my very best friend and understood me better than anybody else in this world.

One year ago today I was with my dad smiling, laughing and spending priceless time together. 

One year ago today....

No comments:

Post a Comment