Thursday, August 18, 2011

Changes, Transitions & Some Smiles Too!

In one short week, my little (babies) guys will be 15 months!  I don’t know that it will ever cease to amaze me how such short periods of time have the capability to change so much.  At twelve months, I could almost convince myself that Asher & Nolan were still babies, but now, a few short days away from 15 months, I can no longer deny the fact that they are toddlers….walking, running, dancing, laughing, joking, playing, climbing and exploring in new ways everyday! 



Toddlerhood with twins brings about a new set of challenges as well as some additional excitement.  Our first big hurdle has been the transition from two naps to one.  I fought this for as long as I could, trying to get my boys to take two naps everyday, but as I watched them they gave me more than enough indication that they were ready for the BIG SWITCH. It was starting to take them longer to fall asleep for their morning nap and then it didn’t last for long.  Then they were unable to fall asleep during their afternoon nap.  They would just lay in their cribs for up to an hour rolling around, talking, singing and giggling.  The biggest indication was the day we were out past their usual nap time and they weren’t acting tired nor did they fall asleep in the car ride home.  I got the message then. So, the transition began.  (about a week ago)  I’ve found that it’s easier to keep them awake in the morning hours if we are out and about, which is pretty fun for us!  It’s still a work in progress…but I think we’ll get there soon enough. 



MOLARS MOLARS EVERYWHERE!  My poor babies…eh-hem…I mean, toddlers, have molars coming in all over the place.  Poor Asher has always cut multiple teeth at one time.  He’s usually a champ about it, but molars sort of changed that.  He has had four molars coming in for the past several weeks as well as one eye tooth!  Nolan has two coming in as well.  That’s seven teeth between the two of them which makes the need for a few extra snuggles! 

Mommy Did What?!
Last month, for the first time EVER, the boys went to bed without the ‘need’ of Mommy.  Nathan put them to bed while I met up with some girlfriends.  It’s strange how it gives me a sense of freedom, yet I still HATE to be away from them.  It happened at just the right time though because I was able to go to dinner with my very good friend, Courtney to celebrate her birthday.  A month ago, I would’ve never been able to do that because I wouldn’t allow myself to be out past 7:30 because I felt the need and desire to be there for Asher and Nolan.  It thrills me to know that we’ve raised children that can feel secure in a variety of settings. 



I’ve said it before, and I’m sure I’ll continue to say it until my little guys are 50 or more, but I do miss my babies, but oh how I enjoy this stage where they can interact with us and even find things comical.  I appreciate the ‘big boy’ that’s starting to come out in them. 

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute pic of you and Courtney! Happy Birtday Courtney!

    Oh my..Nolan crawling up the slide tube! Between these two and Brady...those toofers are not so fun. Sounds like they are all troopers though and let FUN rule instead of pain.

    Little boys...now.

    Love to all
    Nana

    ReplyDelete