Friday, January 7, 2011

Remember When

Look at these two little boys!  They are about seven and a half months now and changing faster than ever.  We went to my mom's house for Christmas (for about a week or so) and by the time we returned I had two little babies that quickly transformed into two not so "little" babies. 

I found myself reflecting on the past seven and a half months and getting very emotional about the time that has passed.  I don't know that I will ever quite understand why babies grow so quickly....reaching adulthood in eighteen years I can understand, but all of the changes that take place in a child's first year are simply amazing!

It's funny how quickly we forget all of the things they did when they were "babies" just a few months ago.  The reason behind this (other than lack of sleep) - they change so fast that what they used to do could be what they did just last week. 
So, as my post title states...Remember When....

Come with me on a journey of remembering

Remember when I used to hold the boys and they would just drift off to sleep with ease while in my arms' embrace. (They are much too busy for this now).
Remember when they  would be laying quietly on their backs and then all of a sudden have what I like to call "an arm spasm" (Asher did this quite a bit more and then he would slowly lower his hands and arms back down the the sides of his body.  I always thought it was the cutest thing ever!)
Remember when I was always looking at was a little closed eye baby and longed for the day that that baby would open his eyes to meet mine.
Remember when they would cry so sweetly and quietly and it would break my heart into a million pieces.
Remember when they used to think the ceiling was the most fascinating thing in their environment (it's a good thing, since they constantly had it as their scenery).
Remember when their poop didn't even stink (I really miss that part!).
Remember their teeny tiny preemie clothes (that I can't bare to part with...they're just too little).
Remember how all I did all day long was nurse babies (I used to secretly wish that they would "hurry up" and finish - now with their five minute nursing sessions I wish they would slow down a little so I can actually sit down for a minute enjoy the still quiet),
Remember how I could fit both of them into any small space,
Remember the way their little scaly skin was shedding (or something...I never did quite understand that one).
Remember how the first two weeks of their lives all I could smell was A & D ointment (if you have little boys, you understand this one!)
Remember how I could put them lay them down in one spot, leave the room and there they'd be when I returned.

Asher LOVES to crawl underneath his crib! We often find him there!

This is just a small glimpse into the things that come and go so quickly.  It all seems like ages ago.  When we brought Asher & Nolan home they were just under six pounds and so little and delicate and knew nothing more than the fact that they wanted to be fed and changed and loved...now I have two little boys who are about seventeen pounds that crawl all over the place, sit up and look around at the world that surrounds them, smile back at me when I smile at them, touch everything, laugh at one another, eat food off of a spoon, drink water out of a sippy cup, choose books and toys of their liking on purpose, dump over the toys basket (and anything else that can be dumped over), play with each other and who warm my heart perfectly. 

In just a few months, I'm sure I will be reflecting about this time saying once again, "remember when" because I will have two little boys who will be nearing a year old and will have grown so much from now until then. 

I know I've said it before, but I will continue to say it...I really do cherish every moment I am with them.  I am truly thankful that I have a husband who desires me to be home with our children and works hard to make that happen.  I can't imagine my life any other way.  I've never been happier!

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a comment..but must have lost it????

    A wonderful post as always...a treasure of wonderful memories to cherish and keep in all our hearts. What joy to see you and Nathan having such precious times as Parents!!! Oh how I miss those days..but they have never left my heart or thoughts.

    I thank the LORD everyday for blessing me with my children..and NOW the blessings that have come into their lives to share with us.

    toooo cute! thanks for sharing this joyful, happy, fun post and videos!

    Too ta dooo!
    NANA

    ReplyDelete