Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Remembering Memories of Years Past....(Part 2 to come)

The fourth of July! For just about as long as I can remember this has always been one of my favorite holidays of the year.  I spent most every July 4th with my dad.  Usually, it was in Mississippi where he resided.  The day consisted of a ton of amazing food, hundreds of dollars with of fireworks, salt, sand, laughter and usually rain.  For a while it was kind of a running joke that the rain would come, run off all of the beach goers and then it'd pass and we'd have the beach to ourselves :)  We would stay at the beach ALL DAY LONG and almost every year it would rain and we would dash to our vehicles, saving what we could and just wait it out, smiling at the thrill of the moment as all of the beach ran to their cars and drove away...but not us, we stayed hunched in our vehicles just waiting out the storm and it ALWAYS passed!  I don't know what it was about this time, but it always felt so magical to me.  Even as a young kid I knew it was the time of my life and a time I would later look back on and love. 


This July 4th (the second without my dad), I didn't expect to have the reaction that I did.  Last night, while laying on the couch, I could hear the booms and whistles of the fireworks outside and suddenly, without warning, tears welled up in my eyes and slowly streamed down my face and I was taken back to those Biloxi beaches that I shared so many memories with my dad.  It was like some kind of flashback scene that you see in a movie.  In an instant, the booms and the whistles, flashed quick images and memories to me.  Before I knew it the booming stopped and the images slowly faded away and I thought about how I can only hope that Nathan and I will create traditions and memories that will live on in our children's hearts forever.  I'm reminded so often of a quote that came to me one day, "The best memories are not the ones that are well thought out and planned, but the ones that just happen!" And it's so true...I wonder what 'just happens' in our everyday lives that our children will remember forever.  I wonder what 'just happens' in your life that you look back on and remember with such a pure smile.  Won't you share?

1 comment:

  1. awe Molly this was a great post...

    I remember the 4th too on the beach in Calif. with my mom and sister. We'd make a whole in the sand for a fire-pit to warm us (60's there!) and watch the fireworks of a decorated ship in the bay. It does take you back just like you said.

    Your father in law and I just recently rec'd the sweetest card from Alison. She told us both in the cards..times she remembered that touched her heart. One was her dad bringing her brand new tennis shoes (she described color and all) because she was so sick with the BIG V and did this to cheer her up.
    Alison told me of times.. "I" can't recall, so the children remember some of the smallest details of happy times that for some reason stay with them.


    I know they all remember the impromptu ...of a little kitten hidden in their Dad's big black lunch box and letting one of them open it with a huge SURPRISE. They all loved the kitty and were so happy. I hope Ruthie remembers the "gumball cake" I made her when she got her braces off...nice way to celebrate the year of no gum!!

    The boys will remember more than you'll know and when they get older and THEY share them, you will laugh at some of the funnies!!! So live each day laughing with them, hugging them.

    Blessings and hugs to you all...

    ReplyDelete