Wednesday, July 27, 2011

At Home Fashion


I'm afraid this is what my fashion often looks like...No...This is not my dog, I found this on the internet! 


I recently put up a Facebook status that read, “Calling all SAHM...Have you encountered the SAHM wardrobe...or lack thereof....share your thoughts on this one, would you?!”  I received a tremendous amount of feedback on this issue…so much that it inspired me to blog about it. 

Transitioning from career woman to stay at home wife and mom has changed me in more ways than I sometimes realize.  In the beginning, I was consistent about waking up and getting a shower, doing my hair, putting my make up on a dressing in something that might possibly be considered as cute, or nice.  Then, I started working out and I ditched the morning shower altogether and stayed in workout clothes all day as I felt like it encouraged me to workout anytime I could fit it in during the day. 

Now, in the 200 degree weather, it seems as though I have ditched the morning shower, ditched the workout clothes and the workout and just remained in my pajamas.  Sometimes, I even stay in my pjs all day, take a shower right before my husband gets home from work and then put some new clean pjs back on.  RIDICULOUS!  Needless to say this all leaves me feeling lazy, worthless, unproductive, unorganized and empty of energy and desire.

It’s just so hard to justify putting the time and energy into ‘getting dressed’ when I’m not even going to leave the house.  It doesn’t make sense.  Bending over the bathtub or scrubbing the toilet or mopping the kitchen floor with hair and makeup and boggles?!  Doesn’t make sense right?!


So, there is something powerful about ‘getting dressed.’  When I worked outside of the home I enjoyed putting together nice outfits and pairing them with cute shoes and fun accessories (all for a very thrifty price of course).  In fact, my husband used to ask me why I got so dressed up.  I enjoyed it. It made me feel energized, productive and put together.  It’s strange to me how much clothing can affect us. I was a big fan of ‘treasure hunting’ – going to local consignment shops and finding cute stuff in the midst of dusty smells and one hundred year old sweaters.  There was nothing like it…there in the middle of all of that chaos sat the perfect skirt or a brand new blouse with the tags still attached and in my size…like it was made for me!  Having kids, two 14 month olds, doesn’t allow a lot of time for ‘treasure hunting’ or anything else really.  (One would be different, but two…treasure hunting with two….just not quite as exciting…not to mention how I feel like every dime (and nickel) we have should be spent on our children and their needs and the like)

Don’t get me wrong…On the rare occasion that I go out of the house, other than for church on Sunday, I get dressed up (so to speak)...Shower, Hair, Makeup, Decent outfit and maybe even some accessories.  Who am I dressing for?  Myself?  Yes, maybe.  But there’s somebody more important than myself that I should be ‘dressing ‘for.  My husband. 

My husband met me when I first graduated college - of self-confidence and energy to put into my ‘style.’  We were so young and in love then that even a lack of style was still cute then. I still remember one of the first few times we went to dinner.  I was working as a teacher and I believe it was field day.  He called me last minute and there I was sweaty, board shorts and a hand painted t-shirt that my kindergartners had helped me with.  He thought I was cute J (Guess he was still blinded by love) 

I would like to still be able to draw my husband in the way I did before he was my husband.  I want him to be attracted to me, both physically as well as ways that are far greater than that. 

All that being said, I am in search of a new SAHM wardrobe and style. I’m also in search of the motivation to get into a routine to fit all of this into my already busy schedule. 

Would you believe I’ve seen websites devoted to this kind of thing?!  I must confess, I googled “stay at home mom fashion tips”  and apparently we aren’t the only ones involved in this epidemic! 

One fb friend had a great idea for a new business…SAHM Fashion!  I think it’s a great idea.  If I had any idea of how to start such a business I would jump all over it! 

So for now, I start with myself and invite you to begin with me, if you haven’t already...  To give ourselves and our husbands more than we may already be.  If we were to go to work outside of the home we would strive to dress to a t and arrive to work put together. Being a stay at home is a job I take very seriously.  I feel more responsible for this line of work than I have ever felt for anything…I wouldn’t show up to ‘work’ in a nightgown and I don’t think I should work as a SAHM in a nightgown either.  I suppose we’ve got to figure out where to draw the line? Where does work end and home begin as a SAHM?  But…….that’s an entirely different blog post. 


3 comments:

  1. Molly, interesting post!! :) Mr. Handsome's (taylor) most important thing is to see me happy. If I'm happy in sweatpants, pjs, workout clothes, or a bikini (which of course you know I own SEVEN!!;)) he is happy. The three things I definitely do in the morning: dress, shower, brush teeth. And fourth, if I can get it before the chaos starts: breakfast. I always "feel" better if I am dressed for what I am doing, even if I am home all day. And I think it depends on what you feel better in. My Mom loves muu muus when she's home all day but I'm not wearing one of those!!! :) I think that, as God told Samuel when he was looking for a king, God looks on the heart, not on the outside. I don't mind if people see me with my shirt on backwards (which has happened) and pants or shorts or skirts that don't match. I'm busy - I'm working!!!
    Love,
    Jackie
    Prov. 31:12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, you brought up a very important topic most couples should discuss but often avoided.
    The issue is not about “do our husbands care what we wear or how we look”; the issue is “respect”. Having self-respect and having respect for our husbands. If we thought it was important to look good before we got married, it should still be important. You’ll hear some people say they’re too busy to worry about these things. We have always been busy, before it was school and work, now its kids, family and work. Busy is simply a part of life and too often used as an excuse. 
    As wife and mother, our job is to love and take care of our husband and children. When everyone appears to be happy, including yourself, you know it was a job well done! Someone can only accomplish this by having self-respect and taking ride in what they do.
    That being said, you’re wonderful at your job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good thoughts..and post.

    One..our ministry as Christian wives...is to take care of our husbands, children and home...in this...we should also glorify the LORD in all we do.

    Since you mentioned husband...think about how a husband goes out daily to HIS job...gone all day and comes home..to what?

    A nicely presented wife (remember as you said how you CARED..dating) this shows HIM you STILL CARE...It goes both ways actually. The man should care just as much.

    I have always (even with 5 kids) made sure when my husband came home I had my hair combed nicely, looked neat and clean and ready to say Hello ..how was YOUR day. They need this after being in the WORLD all day. Their home is their CASTLE remember..so that makes you the QUEEN!

    I always did this also as an example to my children (granted sick days..PJ's)... they needed to know also the importance of getting the day off right and refreshed and in God's Word.

    You are so right about how it affects us the rest of the day...it does promote laziness...but I just cannot see that in you even in PJ's!!!! some just look pretty all the time!! ... OKAY,back to no pj's ALl day!!

    Now for the "fashion" at home... Clean and modest. Hair combed or styled-ponytail) and boggles...well, not necessary.

    Think of how you want your husband to remember YOU (daily) at home.
    THINK of how you want your children to identify you?

    and...my biggest worry...what IF you HAVE to hurry out the door!!! in PJ's yikes.. I've always said..the day I don't shower, do my hair ect. I will be called for an emergency or just needed asap to help someone.

    It is GOOD that you think upon these things..Caring and loving your husband and children enough to be concerned. Some just don't care.

    Simplicity...is elegance by the way!!

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete