Friday, September 30, 2011

Heart Smiles

I don't know where it goes, time that is, but it gets away from me so quickly I can hardly stand it.  As the hours, days and week fly past me, I realize they're already gone before I've noticed them passing.  These precious baby boys of ours are SIXTEEN MONTHS OLD...which is entirely too close to 18 months, which means 2 years is just right around the corner.  I miss my babies, but I do love these little boys that seem to be forming right before our very eyes.





The transition from two naps to one nap is just about successful and complete.  We make it through most mornings now without too much fussiness.  It's all smiles and play these days, which I very much appreciate.  In fact, today, I was actually thanking the Lord for some of the 'not so good' days we've had in the past several weeks, because without them, I'd never be able to appreciate sitting happily with my little family with smiles and laughter and marveling at these little guys. 

I've really been enjoying these boys lately.  They are so funny, so interesting and inquisitive.  It hardly seems possible that they should be 'communicating with me.'  Asher is working on quite a few words and doing well.  Nolan is just about to the point where we can tell he tries to repeat a portion of almost everything we are saying.  I don't know what it is about a child learning to talk, but the desire and labored effort just melts my heart.  I'm sure you experienced moms are saying, you want them to talk now, but just you wait, they'll never stop!  That's okay.  When they walked I was so interested to watch them choose the things that they were interested in doing and exploring and when they start talking...well, I'll finally get to learn what's their amazing (and adorable) little heads! 

Today Nolan and I were standing by the window looking out...(Thanks to Daddy for rearranging so we would have the window exposed for viewing and not blocked by the couch) and I was certain Nolan was carrying on a full blown conversation with me.  (He says about 20 or more words that actually are consistent and have meaning)  None of those words were included in this conversation.  He kept looking out the window, pointing, talking, moving his hands, then looking back at me as if i were supposed to answer him.  I just said, "Honey, I think you are having a conversation with me!  I'm very excited, but I don't think I have a clue what you are talking about, but let's keep talking..." and away he went, jabbering on a few more phrases that were certainly supposed to convey some sort of message to me.  I felt as though he were asking me a question about something that was outside.  I just kept naming objects that were outside and stated their purpose as if that's what he was actually interested in. 

Have I told you how much they like to vaccuum?!  My (amazing) sister in law gave us her old vaccuum since they couldn't take it on a plane and it's great for the boys because it's small enough for them to handle.  Now, every time I get that thing out, they expect a turn.  They even sing a 'vacuum song'  When it comes on they try to make the sound with their voices.  They've done this for several months and truly enjoy the vaccuum! 


Asher's new thing is putting things 'away.'  I say 'away' because I don't mean in their CORRECT place.  He is really into transferring objects from one location to another.  Just today I watched him take his toys and trasnfer them to at least four different places....from the toy box to the toy lid, to the alligator teeter totter, to the books basket to the coffee table.  What amazed my husband and I about this was that he was rearranging items so that they would fit in the space he wanted them to. 

Oh yeah, and today we were working on colors.  Nolan's favorite color (this week) is blue.  He will get the color blue correct about half of the time.  I love when he says blue because he tries SO hard to the the 'b' sound out.  Of course it's more like 'boo' because the l is missing from the word when it says it, but I still love it and I love even more that they are trying.  We played a game today with some little wooden blocks.  I laid three or four different ones on the floor and asked them to hand me the 'blue' (or another available color) and I couldn't believe how successful they were with this activity!  Purple is fun too...it's something like 'PaPa'  :-)

Do you know what I love more than any of this other stuff though....THE HUGS AND KISSES!  They feel so random and undeserving, yet so priceless!  Nothing sweeter than my baby boys running across the room and wrapping their tiny little arms around me.  How can I love something that little...How can so much love be wrapped up in a little being?! 

Tonight in our devotions, Nathan was talking about the range of emotions he sees me feel for the boys (sad for them, sorry for them, happy for them, pity for them etc...) and reminded me that that's how our Heavenly Father feels for us.  He loves us more than we can even love our own children!!  I can't imagine a love that big.  Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment