Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Birthday?

The anticipated sadness of the day was difficult.  Four months ago, I was so looking forward to spending this birthday with my daddy.  Knowing, however, that I will never spend another birthday with him weighs heavy on my heart.  It is for this, and several other reasons that I found it slightly difficult to get through this day with a smile for my boys. 
I am trying to remind myself of all of the things I have to be thankful for.  My mom was here to spend my birthday with me.  My husband made me French toast for my birthday breakfast.  Asher and Nolan were sitting with me as I blew out my birthday candles…but somehow, I just wasn’t able to allow all of that to fill the hole that I felt today. 

There is a happy ending though…
So….after having to go to the doctor’s office this morning and then to the boys’ physical therapy appointment directly after that, I didn’t feel like going home to an empty house.  I called my friend to see if she was having her weekly get together, but then found out it had been cancelled.   Okay, perhaps I will go see Allison. I’m just not one of those people who just shows up at your door without notice, but I did not have a way to get a hold of her so I had no choice but to show up.  I continue to drive around aimlessly wondering what to do.  Meanwhile, I miss a phone call from Allison, wishing me a happy birthday and mentioning that she was hoping to see me today at our friend’s get together J  All of this aimless driving resulted in me being lost in this giant neighborhood.  I couldn’t find my way out!  What?!  Fine, I’m just going home!  This is ridiculous!
I’m driving home, about to burst into tears when I tell myself, “No, you drove all of this way to see Allison.  You go see her!”  Right before getting onto the highway, I have a change of plans and make a u turn back to the directions of Allison’s house. 
After my detour, I arrive to her street and notice that there is a car parked outside of her house and then again question whether or not it is okay for me to just show up at somebody’s house unexpectedly…especially when they have company.  Again, I give myself a pep talk, “No, you have come all this way and gone through all of this to see her…you go knock on the door at least to say hello.”
I nervously approach the door and knock gently so as not to possibly wake her precious baby. After three attempts at knocking, an unfamiliar man comes to the door.  I think to myself, very quickly, “Who is this man at Allison’s house in the middle of the day?  I know that she is a good, faithful Christian wife.  Why is this man at her house and why is he answering the door?” 
I ask, “Is Allison home?????”
“Allison?” he repeats back to me.
“Yes, Allison.” I say, completely confused.
“No, I think you have the wrong house,” he says looking at me as though I’ve just escaped the loony bin. 
I walk away wondering what that man is doing at Allison’s and why she didn’t come to the door.  After all, her car was in the driveway.  I wondered if everything was okay and as I approached my car at the curb I looked to the left and then to the right making sure I was on the right street.  After all, I’d been to Allison’s house quite a few times.  And as I reached for the handle on my door and looked to the left one more time….I realized that there, three houses down, stood….Allison’s house. 
At that point, I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or cry.  Luckily, I was able to share this story with her and then I could laugh about it!
How can this not make you smile?!

2 comments:

  1. O my goodness! You are torturing me with all these adorable pics...ugh I can't get down there fast enough...I'm anxious to hear how your date went (drummin my fingers by the phone) haha...I hope you had a great time! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that precious smile! Doesn't get any better than that, oh wait yes it does - every new day, accomplishment, change, & adventure gets better every day! So blessed to enjoy this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete