Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sleep is A Funny Thing

I've realized something very interesting about sleep and mommyhood.  While pregnant and filled with the anticipation of meeting your baby (or babies as the case is sometimes :D) it's almost impossible to sleep.  You just can't get comfortable...there's this enormous "ball of baby" protruding further than you ever thought humanly possible.  You can't sleep in your previously favorite positions...on your stomach!

Then...this phenomenon happens!  The babies arrive and you don't even remember what sleep is, but realize that it happens in unusual and unexpected places.  The first two weeks of being home with Asher and Nolan I could nod off to sleep anywhere...sitting up nursing, laying down nursing, driving down the road, with a baby next to me in the bed leaving me only two inches to lay down, on the couch with two babies (one next to me and one attached to me), eating (when that actually occurred).  This trend continued for the next several months.  When given the opportunity, I could sleep ANYWHERE and just be thankful for that unique opportunity! 

Now...I have two little boys who will sleep "through the night."  (Except I get them up around 3:00am to nurse to keep up my supply and to have them sleep until about 7:30 or 8:00 rather than being ready to rise and shine at 6:00) So, finally I have the opportunity for more than two hours of consecutive sleep and voila....I can't sleep?!?! 

Isn't it amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Why do "I" know EXACTLY what you are talkin' about! It is the phenomenon..called..MOMMY!

    What happens now and for the next 20 YEARS!!! you are in HALF sleep mode..in other words your EARS are always ALERT to any noise...stir of the body (from a baby or babies!) I finally...well got some more soundness of sleep when my BABIES grew up...but to this day..just me. I AM a light sleeper...so the bags under my eyes all those years had a WONDERFUL cause and excuse. So there is comfort..with those sleepy looking eyes...some call them bags...or puffy...but just remember it's reall about LOVE and your children.

    My as Aub says... .02 cents

    HUGS and love
    ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't have infants at home and I should sleep pretty soundly, except that my hubby is gone and that is pretty much half of me missing and so I guess I don't sleep because my other half is missing! :)

    ReplyDelete